[MetaCRS] Possible inclusion of GeographicLib in MetaCRS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 9 15:24:25 EDT 2011

On 11-05-09 02:12 PM, Norm Olsen wrote:
> Hello All . . .
>
> This looks like a serious package by a serious individual.  It appears to me
> that the individual is a serious geodesist and the library a serious
> mathematical work.  This is a bit of a departure from what most of us are:
> primarily end user application developers who need to incorporate coordinate
> conversion capabilities into an end user GIS type product.
>
> The library includes the very interesting implementation of the Transverse
> Mercator in an exact form which I find very interesting.
>
> I vote in favor of adding this library to our project.  I think it is an
> excellent example of the reason why "MetaCrs" is what is: "a collection of
> coordinate system libraries".

Norm / Charles,

I'll add that Charles has been an active participant in the PROJ.4 mailing
list, and I've had a good impression of the rigor of the math in
GeographicLib.  I am not positive if it will gain a large user base, but
I've already appreciated it very much as a testing place for innovative
new algorithm implementations.

I believe he also has some best-of-breed great-circle computations in
GeographicLib.

I will prepare a motion to adopt GeographicLib as part of MetaCRS.

Best regards,