[MetaCRS] [Proj] Common SQLite-based dictionaries

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Aug 3 06:19:08 PDT 2015

I'm trying to push all of this traffic to the MetaCRS list so we don't spread the discussion everywhere...

> On Aug 2, 2015, at 3:47 PM, Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all
>
> Just out of curiosity, if a SQL-like database is used, why defining new
> tables instead than using the EPSG ones directly? (note that EPSG allows
> users to define their own CRS, provided that they use a code outside the
> reserved range).

My proposal, loosely defined, is to *start* with the EPSG db and augment as necessary. The current dictionaries are essentially that, but in flat file form.

> If peoples still prefer to define their own tables, then I would like to
> make one suggestion:
>
> On Sunday 02 August 2015, Howard Butler wrote:
>> I'd like to propose an attempt to standardize the GDAL, proj.4, and libgeotiff
>> SRS coordinate system handling dictionaries on a SQLite database that starts
>> with EPSG
>
> I suggest to choose another name than EPSG, unless the proposed database
> would be made compliant with points 6.v, vi and vii of EPSG Term of Use
> (http://www.epsg.org/TermsOfUse). In my understanding the current CSV
> file goes beyond the permitted modification of data, for example on axis
> order. I realize that this is a controversial topic, and it is all right
> if an other convention is preferred - we are just not supposed to call
> that "EPSG".

I recognize there are some things to work through on the EPSG ToS. Thanks for bringing these issues up.

Howard