[MetaCRS] [Proj] Common SQLite-based dictionaries

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 3 06:32:05 PDT 2015

On 03-08-15 15:19, Howard Butler wrote:
>> On Aug 2, 2015, at 3:47 PM, Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, if a SQL-like database is used, why defining new
>> tables instead than using the EPSG ones directly? (note that EPSG allows
>> users to define their own CRS, provided that they use a code outside the
>> reserved range).
>
> My proposal, loosely defined, is to *start* with the EPSG db and augment as necessary. The current dictionaries are essentially that, but in flat file form.
>

>> If peoples still prefer to define their own tables, then I would like to
>> make one suggestion:
>>
>> On Sunday 02 August 2015, Howard Butler wrote:
>>> I'd like to propose an attempt to standardize the GDAL, proj.4, and libgeotiff
>>> SRS coordinate system handling dictionaries on a SQLite database that starts
>>> with EPSG
>>
>> I suggest to choose another name than EPSG, unless the proposed database
>> would be made compliant with points 6.v, vi and vii of EPSG Term of Use
>> (http://www.epsg.org/TermsOfUse). In my understanding the current CSV
>> file goes beyond the permitted modification of data, for example on axis
>> order. I realize that this is a controversial topic, and it is all right
>> if an other convention is preferred - we are just not supposed to call
>> that "EPSG".
>
> I recognize there are some things to work through on the EPSG ToS. Thanks for bringing these issues up.

For the eventual Debian package this is the most important issue to
resolve. The CSV files distributed with geotiff are split off because
the EPSG ToS is not acceptable for the Debian main repository, the ToS
is incompatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines and the Open
Source Definition. The ToS discriminates against field of endeavor and
limits derived works via parameter modification restrictions.

If the proposed database derived from the EPSG database is bound by the
non-free EPSG ToS it won't be acceptable for Debian and by extension Ubuntu.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1