[MetaCRS] [Proj] Common SQLite-based dictionaries

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Aug 3 06:37:27 PDT 2015

> On Aug 3, 2015, at 8:32 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> I recognize there are some things to work through on the EPSG ToS. Thanks for bringing these issues up.
>
> For the eventual Debian package this is the most important issue to
> resolve. The CSV files distributed with geotiff are split off because
> the EPSG ToS is not acceptable for the Debian main repository, the ToS
> is incompatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines and the Open
> Source Definition. The ToS discriminates against field of endeavor and
> limits derived works via parameter modification restrictions.

Are there some links to discussion about why Debian has made this determination?

> If the proposed database derived from the EPSG database is bound by the
> non-free EPSG ToS it won't be acceptable for Debian and by extension Ubuntu.

I don't see how the situation is any different than it is now. The community can bootstrap its own db, but the amount of expertise required to do so in relation to the "convenience" of simply submitting to EPSG makes it a tough sell.