[MetaCRS] [Proj] Common SQLite-based dictionaries

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Mon Aug 3 13:40:00 PDT 2015

Le 03/08/15 21:54, Even Rouault a écrit :
>> Martin's proposal to use a different name and not attributing the
>> changes to the EPSG Dataset should allow new database to be licensed
>> freely (e.g. MIT, or maybe ODbL).
> How would that be different from the current libgeotiff-epsg package ? Because
> the later has epsg in its name and the directory is /usr/share/epsg_csv ?

I don't think that the file or directory name matter. In my
understanding, the problem is that when a user asks to the library
"gives me the CRS for EPSG code 4326", he get a CRS which is different
than what is specified by the EPSG authority, with changes not allowed
by the terms of use. In my understanding if we really want those
different CRS, we can but we should not claim that those CRS are conform
to the EPSG definitions. So the documentation should not said "this
function returns a CRS for the given EPSG code" or "this database
contains EPSG definitions". We may said "based on EPSG definitions" however.

    Martin