[MetaCRS] [Proj] Common SQLite-based dictionaries

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 3 14:07:39 PDT 2015

On 03-08-15 22:46, Martin Desruisseaux wrote:
> Le 03/08/15 22:37, Sebastiaan Couwenberg a écrit :
>> I can envision a project that takes the EPSG database and with a
>> collection of SQL scripts (patches) creates the database for proj, gdal
>> & friends. That would be compatible with the compromise when you apply
>> it to data instead of software. The EPSG ToS is just not very explicitly
>> about being allowed to distribute changes.
>
> I think that the intend of EPSG term of use is to make sure that
> "EPSG:something" is understood in the same way by everyone. Applying
> patches with SQL scripts compromise this goal in the same way than
> modifying the data directly, unless we make clear that this is not
> anymore EPSG definitions.

That's probably correct.

The official Dutch NTv2 & VDatum grids have similar restrictions for
modifications of the published correction values. Their intent of that
clause is to prevent significant differences in the results between
various software projects when the same grids are used.

That all boils down to standards being non-free in essence, because
freely modifying a standard defeats the interoperability goal. In Debian
this problem manifests in the IETF RFCs:

https://wiki.debian.org/NonFreeIETFDocuments

We need something like an Open Standards Definition to serve as
reference how to reconcile the non-free nature of standards in
free/libre/open-source software software.

The DFSG & Open Source Definition can then be amended to include a
compromise for standards that comply with the Open Standards Definition.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1