[MetaCRS] question on incubation / community / and branding

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Wed Aug 2 10:42:24 PDT 2017

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 12:21 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Good morning list:
>
> MetaCRS is listed as being an "Incubating Project" on osgeo.org <http://osgeo.org/>.
>
> For the website redesign we are focused on grouping projects into OSGeo Community and OSGeo Project categories.
>
> MetaCRS is currently in incubation, we have an open question if an osgeo logo is still useful? Does the MetaCRS mailing list have any wishes here?
>
> For logos please see: https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/incubation <https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/incubation>
>
> Because MetaCRS is a collection of sub projects I wanted to ask if any of the subprojects would like to join OSGeo as a Community Project? There are a couple of requirements (like being open source) that I would be happy to discuss.

This doesn't help with your website design, but I think MetaCRS should be retracted as an OSGeo incubating project. It doesn't meet any of the project definitions for OSGeo, and other than it being a collection of Community Projects -- the concept didn't exist when MetaCRS was formed -- all related to each other by topic, there's very little hope that anything substantial enough to actually be an incubated OSGeo project is going to arise from it.

MetaCRS is a very useful mailing list.

Howard