[Mobilitydb-dev] FW: [geos-devel] Problem with ST_FrechetDistance in PostGIS/GEOS

Esteban Zimanyi esteban.zimanyi at ulb.be
Sun Sep 19 03:42:13 PDT 2021

We are currently testing several implementations of the Frechet distance
based on
https://towardsdatascience.com/fast-discrete-fr%C3%A9chet-distance-d6b422a8fb77
which itself is based on
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3150919.3150924
Indeed, a typical "trip" of a ship, e.g., from the available of the Danish
Maritime Authority
https://www.dma.dk/SikkerhedTilSoes/Sejladsinformation/AIS/Sider/default.aspx
contains 10K-30K timestamped points and thus we need an extremely efficient
implementation.

The current experiments are being developed here
https://github.com/estebanzimanyi/MobilityDB/blob/frechet/src/point/tpoint_discfrechet.c
but this is still far from complete. We will benchmark the various
alternatives and choose the right one(s) to make available in MobilityDB.

After that we will make the results available in the MobilityDB wiki.