[Mobilitydb-dev] Help with installation of PostGIS on a brand new machine

Vicky Vergara vicky at georepublic.de
Fri Jun 10 11:27:17 PDT 2022

Looking around:
PostGIS 2.5 goes up to PostgreSQL 12
https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiPostgreSQLPostGIS

Trying to use PostGIS 2.5 on something above PostgreSQL 12 that I would
consider it as a "use it at your own risk" situation.

The min version of a package can always be handled.

How much effort to put on MobilityDB for PostGIS 2.5 goes up to PostgreSQL
12 until the EOL of PostgreSQL 12 on November 14, 2024?

On the other hand, Using the min version of PostGIS 3.1, covers from
Postgres 10 up to the postgres 14 (current)

Things that can be done:
For example, one of the reasons of creating a new repo for VRP problems is
the postgres version (because of the new goodies that are used internally):
https://github.com/pgRouting/vrprouting/blob/main/CMakeLists.txt#L54
So vrprouting can not be build on postgres 11 or 10
For building vrprouting do not need PostGIS, so we do not have a min
version for that one.

Note that for installing postgis the minor version is omitted on ubuntu
starting from version 3.0:
https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/postgresql/xenial-pgdg/main/base/postgresql-13-postgis-3
The policy on doing that will depend on the packager.

For pgRouting they dont even bother to put a version
https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/postgresql/xenial-pgdg/main/base/postgresql-13-pgrouting

I recommend to do the following:
Start doing the work from top-bottom:
Postgres 14 + posgis 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, (no chance to use 2.5)
Then
Postgres 13 + posgis 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, (no chance to use 2.5)
Then
Postgres 12 + posgis 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, ...

Evaluate the effort of doing those, As you already did an effort to with
postgis 2.5 for postgres12
Then decide how to continue down to postgres10.

Vicky

--

Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Salzmannstraße 44,