[MOSS-archives] .zenodo.json update

Peter Löwe peter.loewe at gmx.de
Thu Jul 1 00:29:09 PDT 2021

Hi MOSS community,

here's an update about the handling of extended metadata by the Zenodo open access repository.

Until now there's the issue that whenever a new release of the MOSS codebase is released on github, the Zenodo repo does receive an update of the codebase (good), but the extended metadata in the Zenodo records reverts to "ploewe / Jeff McKenna" and must be rebuild manually (cumbersome and prone to errors).

The additional files in the github repo with extended metadata (CITATION.cff, codemeta.json) are preserved by Zenodo, but the content is not being actively used - however codemeta and other will use these files in the near future, so I suggest we keep them.

An additional file (".zenodo.json") needs to be included for complete metadata updates in Zenodo. Once we have a first version of this file, the friendly Zenodo helpdesk will validate it for us to confirm that it will work for the next release.

The defintion of zenodo.json already allows for different roles:
- creators: The creators/authors of the deposition (for each author: name [required], affiliation [optional],orcid [optional], GND [optional] {FWIW, this is the acrynom of the "Gemeinsame Normdatei", a controlled german vocabulary of names and places maintained by the National Libraries https://gnd.network/Webs/gnd/EN/Home/home_node.html})

===> I suggest to store the existing list of the names of MOSS coders (Carl, Sol, etc.) as creators

- contributors: The contributors of the deposition (same attributes as for creators).
-- These roles are currently recognized by Zenodo:
----ContactPerson [-> Carl ?]
----DataCollector [-> Maris ?]
----DataCurator [--> Peter ?]
----DataManager [--> Jeff ?]
----Distributor
----Editor
----HostingInstitution [--> OSGeo]
(and a few others, mainly geared towards project management roles)

Thoughts ?

Best,
Peter

<peter.loewe at gmx.de>