[Journal] Translation of the journal

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon May 28 15:15:45 EDT 2007

On 28-May-07, at 12:05 PM, Yves Jacolin wrote:

> Here a first experience about translating OSGeo journal. Some people
> translated some article and did not catch anything about LateX.
> They only
> change the english sentences into french. So easy ... But I think
> that one
> langage manager need to check that all is ok, and that he need to
> knwo a
> liitle bit about LaTeX.

Good.  Thanks for the update and test.

> Another problem may occurs, an encoding problem. Hopefully, files
> seems
> encoded in utf-8 so it is good to manage langage specification.

Yes, that is the hope, that utf-8 should do the trick.  For special
characters, accents, etc. there are often certain latex codes for
them, right?  I'm quite new to it but saw several in articles in
volume 1.

> For the SVN, I propose to create one directory for each langagne
> (one for
> english, anothers for french, italian, spanish, ...). It will allow
> to use
> something like svn checkout http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/journal/
> volume_1/fr to
> download french OSGeo journal. But I am not a SVN guru (just know
> how use
> it :-/) !

We will need to reorganise the SVN structure a little bit to
accommodate this.  I put my notes up here to describe the process:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Journal_Translation
It's a work in progress.

I would like to move all our "main" (english) articles into a
subfolder as well:
/journal/volume_1/main
then put all translations like you suggest
/journal/volume_1/fr

Then people can checkout the main folder without getting all the
redundant copies under each language.  I will send out another note
describing this change.

> The process for french translation is :
> * select an article, and note his/her name on the wiki (a special
> page was
> created for this voulme)
> * the translator send back the article
> * someone choose to read and correct the translation, the file is
> hosted
> outside the wiki in a temporary website, then send it back to the
> translator
> manager (Me)

This is good.

> I will create all the PDF files and comit to the SVN (if this is
> the process)
> or send the file to someone who can comit.

You will build from the latex code then?  Have you given it a try?
You should be able to commit to the repository now.  Go for it.