[Journal] Translation of the journal

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon May 28 16:49:19 EDT 2007

Hello list
(my first contribution although I was auto-subscribed at the start and
have been lurking ever since - apologies for having too much else on to
contribute anything to the new journal so far)

On Mon, 28 May 2007, Yves Jacolin wrote:

> Le Mercredi 23 Mai 2007 17:34, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) a écrit :
>> How...
>> The Journal has source code managed in a subversion code repository,
>> as latex text files.  Does anyone have ideas for the best way to
>> handle translated code in SVN?  I would like to keep it all in SVN
>> alongside the english version - perhaps as just another folder, or
>> are there special ways within svn that would be helpful to use?
>> Perhaps some kind of parallel branch that would allow people to
>> easily compare one language with the original english.  I'm new at
>> svn, so looking for any ideas.  Let's figure this out before you do
>> too much.
>>
>> The other main questions is whether we need translators to handle the
>> latex code or not.  I think the english editorial team can help
>> compile the results but won't have time to copy/paste/convert raw
>> text into latex for translators.  What do others think?
>
> Hi,
>
> Here a first experience about translating OSGeo journal. Some people
> translated some article and did not catch anything about LateX. They only
> change the english sentences into french. So easy ... But I think that one
> langage manager need to check that all is ok, and that he need to knwo a
> liitle bit about LaTeX.
>
> Another problem may occurs, an encoding problem. Hopefully, files seems
> encoded in utf-8 so it is good to manage langage specification.

It is my understanding that all LaTeX files use ASCII encoding. Accented
characters are encoded using escape sequences such as \'e for é, \^a for
â, \"o for ö, \cc for ç and so on. So there would be no need for managing
encoding - all the source files can just be kept as ASCII. And that would
also make it easy for all the typeset final versions in different
languages to all be generated by the same person, somebody who would have
special responsiblity for that and could ensure quality control - I think
that it seems important to have an official "source" of the newsletter
rather than different language versions being generated by different
people - I feel there is a danger there that the translated versions could
be regarded as only "semi-official" if they are not published from the
same source as the English version?

I hope this is some help towards clarifiying the discussion and doesn't
confuse things!

best regards,

Paul