[Journal] a proposal for the OSGEO Journal

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Sun Oct 4 19:10:24 EDT 2009

Hi Dimitris,
Thanks for taking a crack at it.  I don't see any fundamental 'change' here,
except to have pre-scheduled publication dates.  Also, there has been
significant interest in having a peer review facility within the Journal.
This is a large part of the reason for moving to the OJS so we could track
reviewer comments, etc.

Adding in some peer review does not necessarily mean being more 'scientific'
oriented or changing scope, etc. but does mean a few more expectations from
our reviewer/author group.

The only other issue is going to be time.  I know this goes without saying,
but if we raise our expectations for publication then our editors are going
to have to be ready for the commitment.  That is my only fear, because if
editors fail, then the journal fails.

Other than that, I don't see any trouble with your proposal.  I believe the
above is in line with many others on this list, please speak up if so or
not.

Thanks again,
Tyler