[Journal] FOSS4G 2011 Special Edition

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at flaxen.com
Tue Sep 27 21:25:59 EDT 2011

I honestly don't see the Journal as a high priority for the board right now -- it would be a tough sell to get any funding for it in the next 6+ months certainly.  (Do you have any metrics on readership/downloads, etc?)

That said, I don't think the Board would mind you trying to get sponsors or sell advertising space.  If you can raise the money, more power to you!

( Speaking only for myself, I'm increasingly looking at OSGeo projects moving towards a three-part model to sustain themselves: (1) volunteer efforts, (2) 3rd-party sponsorship, and (3) foundation-level support.  The ratio of these three is not necessarily 1:1:1, but (3) would likely be a matching grant against (2) at best. )

-mpg