[Journal] Volume 11: New Preliminary Master PDF in SVN

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Mon Nov 12 20:28:26 PST 2012

Time to svn update, I made various routine edits,
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/changeset/9281/

Here are some more substantive changes that people should take note of:
- Change "Italy" chapter name to "Italian" (which appears to be correct).
- Change "Korea" chapter to "Korean"
- Change Geotools to GeoTools
- OSGEO-Live to OSGeo-Live

Outstanding changes that someone else needs to address:
- The news in the pdf has a Month and year of "XXXXX2012" and "January
2012" but appear correct in the sla.  I'm not sure how to fix it.
- The news page numbers are wrong in the pdf but correct in the sla.
Likewise, not sure how to fix it.
- The news says, "You can see slides from the talks at here" which should
probably have a url.
- The author credit for Open Source Geospatial Case Study, The SurveyOS
Toolkit, and the editorial footnote all appear incorrect in the pdf but I'm
not sure how to fix it in the sla which mostly looks like it should be
correct.
- In the SurveyOS KML Toolkit article:
-- Minor but KML was developer for Keyhole Earth Viewer, not Google Earth
-- "KML entities will be added to the collection using one (1) of three (3)
methods." goes on to list "In the first..."  "In the second..." but is
missing "In the third ..."
-- The SimplePlacemark Class @description Description splits on two lines
but in the svg looks fine.
-- "On the next page is a graphical overview of the SimplePlacemark class
member variables and methods."  It is on the previous page, this sentence
should say previous page of the pages should be reordered and numbered.
- The back page is still the incorrect size.  I don't see the source file
so correcting it (other than cropping it with imagemagick since it is
already raster instead of vector) is difficult.

Things I didn't change but would like input on:
- "I'll immediately start collecting items for our 2012 Peer Review..." do
you mean 2013?
- In the side boxes, I think the bullets should line up with the first
line, not the middle, see for example the side box on The SurveyOS KML
Toolkit.
- In the Editor's Footnote, you say, "In the first group are OSGeo charter
members or people actively involved..."  I think it would be better to drop
the "charter" distinction and just reference "OSGeo members"

After those, it looks like we are ready to make the pdf with links and
check the links.

I reviewed this in black and white, when I review the links, I'll review
color too.

I've read this too many times to still have a critical eye, is there anyone
else who would like to copyedit and proofread before we call it final?

Eli