[Journal] OSGEO journal

Dimitris Kotzinos kotzino at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 01:08:21 PST 2015

Dear all,

I was involved in the past in the OSGEO Journal and even worked as
section editor at times.
One problem that the journal has and will keep having is that it is
based strictly in volunteer time which is in many cases unpredictable
and usually not constant. The only solution I have seen in any open
source project around this, is to build a team of volunteers so that the
work is shared and to be flexible around the deadlines.
So if we are some I would also offer to be involved into the process. I
think that for me it would be better to be involved in organizing the
process, making the calls and do less on the technical work (which I see
that Christian and Eli might like more). But of course 3 people are not
enough to make sure that we can sustain the Journal publication in a
timely manner.

Given that I am also reiterating a proposal submitted back in 2012 [1]
but did not receive much attention or reaction at that moment. There I
share some ideas of how to share responsibilities and how to structure
the journal. If you want we can use this as a starting point for the
discussion and feel free to edit along!

Note also that this would be kept as a foundation Journal and not a
scientific journal where we focus on activities within the foundation,
the local/regional chapters and the various kinds of events and their
results. We can further discuss if we would like to create an additional
Academic/Scientific Journal with the colleagues who are involved in the
Geo4All activity.

Finally, thanks to Landon for pushing the carriage for many years; the
editor's job is quite lonely and sometimes also frustrating! :)

My 2c,

Dimitris

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/A_proposal_for_the_OSGeo_Journal