[Journal] Journal about

Christian Willmes c.willmes at uni-koeln.de
Mon Oct 26 08:09:37 PDT 2015

Dear Journal Team,

Regarding this discussion [0], I was asking myself what the OSGeo
Journal is, or aims to be? According to the wiki page [1], it is defined
as follows:
"The OSGeo Journal is an open publication highlighting open source
geospatial projects, software development, introductions to projects,
news, event and other OSGeo Foundation updates."
About the Journals about page we discussed in above referenced thread
already.

Anyhow, looking at the actual Journal contents [2] it is more or less
the publication platform for the FOSS4G Academic track. Not much of
other content. The last annual report is from 2010.

I think it is beyond discussion, that the Journal needs some care now,
or it will die in the foreseeable future.

I would really like to see the Journal alive, and (re-)evolve into an
asset of the OSGeo foundation.

For now, I have the following ideas to work on for improving the Journal:

1. Try to make clear (or promote) that the Journal is the basic
publication for the academic track of (at least international) FOSS4Gs.
(It is good to organize publication of FOSS4G academic track papers in a
dedicated Academic Journal, like in past time in TGIS, or organize a
Special Issue in a different dedicated Journal, but all the other
papers, that don't get into those publications, should be published from
OSGeo Journal by default).

2. Publish the annual reports as an own issue (every Year).

3. I additionally think, we should try to integrate with the Geo4All
Newsletters. Geo4All publishes very nice monthly newsletters [3]. I
think it would be really good to have one Journal issue a year
collecting the (12) newsletter. Geo4All would name the editor(s) of this
issue.

4. More ideas...?

This way we would have at least 3 issues per year.

What do you guys think? Let's gather some ideas and opinions on what we
want to do with the Journal.

Best regards,
Christian

[0] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/newsletter/2015-October/001187.html
[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Journal
[2] https://journal.osgeo.org/index.php/journal
[3] http://www.geoforall.org/newsletters/

--
Christian Willmes
AG GIS & Fernerkundung      | GIS & RS Group