[North America] Re: [Northamerica] North America Region Chapter motion to OSGeo BOD

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 11 12:31:44 EST 2011

On 11-11-10 03:17 PM, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Some see this effort as being exclusively focused on DOD or US-specific
> interests.  I don't think that's Mark's intent though.  It's just worth
> confirming on this list.  I think the wiki page is general enough already in
> this respect.

Tyler,

I can actually imagine having a Washington area OSGeo chapter with
some focus on US federal issues (military, intelligence and also
civilian agencies like NASA, USGS, NOAA, ...) *and* some sort of
north american level organization that helps stitch together broader
efforts.

> Similar to Mark's close connection with defence, I'm hoping we can also make
> some inroads with the various other industry associations and with academia
> - there is certainly a regional need here.  I've added GITA to the list of
> relevant orgs to help show that - though the list could be 10 times as long
> if add in the CA/US/MX ASPRS chapters, cartographic associations, federal
> SDI initiatives, open gov, etc.

Note that Mark was, I believe, listing organizations with a focus
on open source rather than just organizations with a focus on
geospatial.

> A cross-industry chapter, with a focus on industry event outreach could be
> quite powerful if we have good representation in the chapter for those
> various industries.
>
> = Organization =
>
> Wiki stated the intent was to organize as a 501c3, I don't think it's a bad
> idea, but suspect it's not necessary to commit to it at this time.  It may
> just cause more concern than benefit.  Some other existing related orgs have
> 501c3 status and could potentially take us under their wing to simplify the
> administrative side for us.  I'm thinking specifically of GITA or USGIF.

I had to read the above over several times to confirm that the most
obvious candidate was omitted - OSGeo.  I am very dubious about any
American local chapter seeking 501(c)3 status or even incorporating
due to the administrative overhead involved.  I don't see any reason
that OSGeo central could not hold money for a north american conference
or other chapter initiatives with the understanding we have to keep
the number of transactions managable.

I think it is quite plausible we could, for instance, open a separate
bank account that is technically an OSGeo account but with someone
local to an event effort having signing authority and OSGeo's Treasurer
just providing some oversight.

> = Meeting and Events =
>
> I'm sure we can all think of other events (past or future) that may be of
> interest to the group and its objectives.  I didn't add any other specific
> events, but again think we can build on the strengths of the group.  For
> example, if we don't have any academic interest, there's no sense adding AAG
> to the list.
>
> So what areas are you interested and what's the top event or two for that
> area?
>
> = OSGeo Connection =
>
> Since much of this topic was discussed on some threads with the OSGeo Board
> today, I think it's easy to confuse what the group is about.  I don't see it
> as being tied to any particular objective of the board, other than generally
> to build regional awareness and outreach.
>
> There was some talk amongst the board about running a north american event,
> but it didn't gain traction.  So, really, aside from a general tie-in to the
> OSGeo mission I think it should be clarified that this chapter isn't looking
> for any funding or official support from OSGeo to run events on its behalf,
> etc.  At the most the chapter would look to be accepted as an official
> chapter.  Is that what you are thinking too Mark, and others?  It will help
> clear some of the smoke that was in the air during the board meeting :)

I'm not sure I noticed any smoke.

I see the North American event effort as conceptually similar to many
other local chapters holding events.  They are driven by local chapter
volunteers with local resources and only loosely connected to "OSGeo
Global".  On that basis there is no reason it can't get going as soon
as there are interested volunteers willing to push it.

Now, as it happens, if the focus of a first event is in the
Washington area and aiming at the federal opportunity that Mark
has explained elsewhere then I think it is also a strategic
issue for OSGeo as a whole, and it would be reasonable that
additional resources could be supplied - primarily in the form
of seed money since we don't have staff resources we can supply
now.

If our focus is an initial event I'd even suggest we not get hung up
on forming an official north american chapter, and instead treat this
list as a coordination effort in our region and form a local organizing
committee for an initial north american OSGeo/FOSS4G event which I hope
will be focused on the US federal opportunity.

Best regards,