[Oceania-Board] motions: let F4G Oceania 2020 access all Good Mojo funds

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 15:58:34 PDT 2020

Hey Adam

The reason why we have Good Mojo funds available is due to the initiatives
in previous years to raise money for the program. While I think it's for
spending, sure, I also think we want to ensure that there is money
available into the future. And on top of that, we have a responsibility to
the community to ensure that we provide the right amount of oversight into
our spending.

With that in mind, I'd like to point out that the conference budget has not
been approved and does not contain any Good Mojo income or expenses [1].

And I'd like to point out that our approved OO budget has $1,000 allocated
to good mojo [2].

So, on your first motion:
> make all Good Mojo funds available to FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2020
inclusivity initiatives

We already have $1,000 available to any good mojo initiatives, I have no
issue with expanding the good mojo budget expense to the full $8,800, with
one caveat that we make an effort to add some income. So +1 with a
condition.

On your second motion:
> delegate funding allocation for projects aligned with the Good Mojo
initiative to the LOC and hub managers, i.e. let the locals decide what is
valuable work for raising under-heard voices in the community.

The conference chair already has financial delegation under the approved
conference budget, so Jonah can decide what to spend on what, so long as it
fits in the plan. There's currently no clear plan, and I do not want just
throw money at the first person who can spend it. So -1 to this motion.

Kind regards,

Alex

1.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MJrGSLuPodvNpiQIOazuU-RYwZP2oCnxwq5C4IQI1eU/edit#gid=0
2.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cbd3Rt5R688qrZ3eTCHxpRZ8HbII358_1UARf3m5qBs/edit#gid=0

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 at 04:24, Adam Steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey board
>
> In the spirit of Good Mojo, I move that we:
> - make all Good Mojo funds available to FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2020
> inclusivity initiatives
>
> and a second:
> - delegate funding allocation for projects aligned with the Good Mojo
> initiative to the LOC and hub managers, ie let the locals decide what is
> valuable work for raising under-heard voices in the community.
>
> If that requires changing previous decisions, I will raise motions to
> remove each barrier as it arises.
>
> I don't think we explicitly need a formal motion here, but maybe it is
> good to have one to fall back on. A point of 'we have decided this as a
> group' (or not)
>
> I really believe the board's only role in Good Mojo funding at the
> conference level should be to say 'here are N dollars, and yes we will
> deliver it to you as needed'. That money has already sat around doing
> nothing for too long.
>
> ...and we should also rename the program, I hope someone would like to
> gift us a name which means something like 'to do better' in one of our
> local regional languages...
>
> Looking forward to your thoughts/votes,
>
> Adam

Alex Leith