[Oceania-Board] Preparing for our February board meeting

Edoardo Neerhut eneerhut at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 18:47:48 PST 2021

Hi everyone,

I hope the week is going well for everyone.

I noticed our communication has dropped a bit, so I'll try to move more
discussions here so that we keep each other updated.

*EOI for conference committee*
Jonah, thanks for putting out the EOI for a conference committee. It looks
like we received 16 responses with Fiji totally dominating. Go Fiji!

What do you think the next steps are here? Perhaps a kick off call with all
the interested participants and a formation of an official conference
committee? I can hear the clock ticking on this one, so let's keep the
momentum going.

*OKRs* (Objectives and Key Results)
Take a chance to review the OKRs
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/13RZJslAd6WVUS3IVcm9HZWpYF6RT5vrbkntT9prWfyM/edit#>
before our next board meeting. These will be the main areas of focus for
our board for the rest of the year. Some of the OKRs will be things we
would have done anyway, but having them well defined will help us
prioritise and measure ourselves against them.

*Microgrants program*
This is one of the most important efforts we are undertaking this year.
Thanks to Eli and John for the significant work they have put into a
framework for distributing funds that will help to support the open
geospatial community of Oceania. Take a look
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OAaZw1HC7srDTre_3a_B40CxM_XaQ5qT/view?usp=sharing>
if you haven't already.

*Membership working group*
Ewen has been a champion taking a lot of the thoughts around the MWG
and listing
them down here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bK_KF12qHyr8MrlOBfYinxFETtd3lE2lPZEl49BD5Pc/edit#>.
These are important changes to improve the way we handle membership
applications, so let him know if there were any changes you'd like to see
or what you think of the ones he has proposed.

*Loomio*
Thanks to everyone actively using Loomio to bring decisions to the board.
I'm finding it a really useful way to keep track of our important
decisions. As board members, it is our responsibility to review threads
created within Loomio, so let's make sure we're all checking it at least
once a week and responding to our fellow board members.

*Action items*
We all agreed to continue with the spreadsheet model that the boards of
previous years have used. Let's make sure to keep it updated or it will
lose its effectiveness. There are a few items here still requiring
attention, including one from me, so let's roll up our sleeves and close
them off before Friday.

Status Who Action Target date Completed OKR
Complete Jonah Put out call for proposals 2021-01-31 2021-01-30
To do Alex Two monthly financial reports 2021-02-19
To do Ewen Sync with communications team to get up to speed on website
building plans 2021-02-05
To do Greg Review GSuite account 2021-02-05
To do Greg Review and manage passwords 2021-02-05
To do Dionne Review our use of Mailchimp. 2021-02-12
To do Greg Add Ed to Xero (again) 2021-02-05
To do Dionne Schedule a meeting for outreach and comms 2021-02-05
Complete Elisa Schedule meeting to discuss use of Good Mojo funds 2021-02-05
2021-01-21
To do EVERYONE Review OKRs 2021-02-12
Complete Emma Put out QGIS SIG charter for final community review 2021-01-31
2021-01-17
Complete Edoardo Put out OSM SIG charter for final commnuity review
2021-01-31 2021-01-21
To do Emma Finalise QGIS SIG charter 2021-02-17
To do Edoardo Finalise OSM SIG charter 2021-02-17
To do Ewen Contact nursery for June/July tree planting 2021-02-19
To do Elisa put out microgrants guidelines for final community review
2021-02-12

*Next board meeting*
Our next board meeting is this Friday the 19th of February. Please take a
moment to review the agenda
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XwWA-AA3pk1Ouxv9sZpZtX4qH4DRweaBCIYHNbM0C8g/edit#>
and add any items you'd like to discuss.

Can't wait to chat more Friday.

Take care everyone,

Ed