[Oceania-Board] FOSS4G 2022 - Talk on OSGeo Oceania

Edoardo Neerhut eneerhut at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 13:36:03 PDT 2022

Hi all,

Thanks for the positive sentiment. I submitted a talk and added Elisa as a
co-presenter as she is aiming to be there as well. Happy to add anyone else
planning to attend.

The abstract I submitted is:

*OSGeo has existed in Oceania in various forms for quite a while now. Some
of the major contributors to projects such as QGIS are based in Oceania and
open geo events have been organised in the region for many years. It is
only in more recent times however that we have started to support these
efforts through the creation of a local chapter. When a group of us came
together to organise Oceania’s first regional FOSS4G SotM conference in
Melbourne, 2018, it became clear structure was needed to sustain the
momentum we had created.Structure was established by forming an entity and
completing all the tasks that go along with that. This included creating a
constitution, financial policies, forming a board of directors,
establishing a membership policy, consulting with the community, working
out what the entity’s primary purpose is and so much more. We’ve made
plenty of mistakes along the way, but we’ve also learned a lot. There are
many successes too, such as the establishment of a Microgrant program to
support initiatives across the region, the continuation of annual regional
conferences, funding travel so that people without the financial means to
do so could attend conferences, and the welcoming of new members from far
and wide.This talk is an insight into the journey of OSGeo Oceania. It is
not meant to be a how to guide or a pat on the back, but rather a chance to
facilitate discussion among the FOSS4G community so that we can find ways
to support the use and understanding of open geospatial software in our
respective regions.*

Happy to make adjustments and of course any input from John (CCed) is
always welcome!

Cheers,

Ed