[Oceania-Board] FOSS4G 2025 Auckland Letter of Intent

Jonah Sullivan jonahsullivan79 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 16:52:08 PST 2024

I think this crew in New Zealand could send this proposal without OSGeo
Oceania's endorsement, and that would be very bad.

Endorsement of a grass-roots initiative is easy, however this one will
probably require a lot of OSGeo Oceania's resources. Both institutional
resources like financial accounts and status as a legal entity, as well as
personnel resources to deliver the activity.

That level of commitment should be made purposefully.

I haven't seen evidence of that level of commitment - especially the
personnel resources side - to warrant endorsement. If a groundswell of
grassroots organisers does emerge, then there won't be a problem, but that
is an external liability that we will have trouble mitigating (we will have
trouble financing paid staff if volunteers don't eventuate).

A staged approach sounds reasonable, especially with a lot of communication
with the community to generate interest (and hopefully a volunteer base).