[Oceania-Board] Comms Working Group update

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 23:22:03 PST 2024

Hi all, in advance of tomorrow's board meeting, I wanted to provide a brief
update on the activities of the Comms Working Group (CWG). Hopefully this
will save a bit of time in the meeting.

Ewen and I have been working on recruiting volunteers to join and support
the CWG. We put out a call for expressions of interest on 18 Feb, and had a
very strong response, with expressions of interest from over 15 people.

We polled the group of interested people for a meeting time, and will be
meeting next Thursday 14th. The agenda and notes are here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/18yvI3PcuRgll-Is2CKP-yexESU40wM0PIuUmX-jPhNw/edit#heading=h.bmlgnb7c3pdv>.
The objective at this point is to gather active people to help coordinate
the activities of the CWG, and bring along ideas for connecting with our
community, driving engagement and generally supporting the open geospatial
community.

Time permitting, one thing the board could discuss (either here or in
tomorrow's meeting, or both) is the current Terms of Reference
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/10FlS_e7Lvf6SSGdbcLkyCEHT6WrPSYyi/edit?pli=1>.
It is 4 years old and may be a little out of date. The main question is
whether it needs an update, or can suffice as it is. I'm inclined to wait
until after the CWG re-groups and defines its purpose, as long as the group
is empowered to use our comms platforms to perform its outreach role.

Another question, more for the Hobart LOC, is whether they want support
from the CWG, or would prefer to go it alone. Not something that needs a
firm answer now or even later, but just give us a heads up if you want us
to have it on our radar.

Any questions just let us know.

Cheers!
John