[Oceania-Board] 2024-2025 budget

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 01:15:34 PDT 2024

Hi all,

We discussed at the February board meeting that we should get moving on a
budget for next year. I want to kick off a discussion towards hopefully
having a first draft within the next few weeks, and a final draft for
approval in May.

I have a sheet here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gRWZXt1bZqTqNMf5sr7Ff5dH4Sp_Nabe4QoZHPPPpmw/edit#gid=0>
with
the current year projected and actual amounts for context.

For now, do you have any specific items on your wish list for next year?

I have a few suggestions and questions:

   - *Distinct "Operational" & "Community Investment" expense categories*.
   By doing this, we make sure we allocate enough to keep the lights on, and
   then we have better sight of what we can afford to invest in community
   programs.
   - *Separate grants and sponsorship*. They're accounted for separately in
   Xero and I think it caused some confusion this year when we overspent on
   the combined item. We ultimately increased the budget amount but for a time
   the Grants committee was unsure if they should hit pause. By separating
   these, I think we add clarity.
   - *Remove "Special Interest Groups"?* We don't really have any SIGs (OSM
   SIG has never been active, QGIS SIG wound up in June 2022). I still think
   we should make these kinds of investments in OSM and QGIS community groups
   of course, but maybe we do it under sponsorship and grants line items?
   - *TGP:* At the last board meeting there was talk of ~10k for the Travel
   Grant Program, is this the right amount? It sounds like the Hobart
   conference may have about $5000 to add to this, depending on sponsorship
   (Alex correct me if I've got this wrong!).

Also I think we'll need to make a projection on the conference surplus,
perhaps this is an item for discussion at the next board meeting on the 3rd.

Your thoughts?

Cheers
John