[Aust-NZ] Inquiry into Improving Access to Victorian Public Sector Information and Data

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 21:44:35 PDT 2008

Introductions:
Open Source Industry Australia (OSIA) meet
the Australian/New Zealand chapter of the Open Source Geospatial
Foundation (OSGeo).
(and visa-versa)

As I understand it, individuals from both email lists are planning to
write a response for this Public Access to Data Proposal and I suspect
all responses will have a similar message.

In particular, interest has been shown from:
Brendan Scott, Adam Crow from OSIA
Bruce Bannerman, Bruce Bannerman, and maybe Rob Atkinson from OSGeo Aust/NZ.

I suggest consider writing a polished joint submission which should be
better as it has more inputs and reviewers.

Rob Atkinson wrote:
> These are key points I think the FOSS community should debate and
> reach a consensus (if possible) on...
>

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Robert Coup
> <robert.coup at onetrackmind.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Good points - comments/questions inline...
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Rob Atkinson <robatkinson101 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> 1) There should be a general position regarding accountability, like
>>> the intention (but not current practice!) of FOI laws, that taxpayer
>>> funded activities should support free and open access for
>>> non-commercial use to relevant information. This includes all spatial
>>> information, with the well understood exceptions of personal private
>>> details and national security. Specifically there should be a
>>> presumption of public interest, with only commercial exploitation
>>> restricted.
>>>
>> What do you mean by commercial exploitation here? If BigCo wants to resell
>> free and publicly accessible data for $100K per user per year and can find
>> suckers to sign up for that, whats the problem?
>>

> IMHO there is a danger (maybe a certainty) that we wont get legitimate
> access to data that is currently also sold commercially.  If we
> disallow resale for commercial purposes, then public-interest access
> can be supported without changing all existing commercial
> arrangements.  I dont we think we really care how the cost is
> apportioned within governments either, just that non-commercial uses
> (public interest, researc, non-commercial software development and
> testing, education etc) should not be prejudiced by any potential
> commercial value of the data.
>

>>> 2) There should not be a technical cost associated in accessing data -
>>> i.e. it should not be bound to a proprietary on in-house custom