[Aust-NZ] Re: Logos FOSS4G / Aust-NZ

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Mon Aug 11 00:20:20 PDT 2008

It would be a little too complicated it is true; but check out the
center of the osgeo compass ; there is a good star shape. We can repeat
that star burst the required number of times and keep the "ring" around
the lot of them. Given that the southern cross can be used in navigate
we have a good visual transition of meanings.

Okay let me bang that up; I am working with photoshop elements here
using a laptop track pad - so my options are little limited. I could not
find any vector formats on the wiki to start from. But there was a good
set of instructions here:
- http://www.osgeo.org/logos
So I was able to match fonts / colors etc...

Jody

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> For Aust/NZ, the Southern Cross is a good linking point.
>
> I was wondering whether we could draw the Southern Cross, replacing
> the stars as OSGeo compasses. (Might be a bit too complicated).
>
> Could possibly be included into the Aust/NZ flags.
>
> Jody Garnett wrote:
>> Thanks for the reminder Cameron; is it time to do this then?
>>
>> I did some sketches for the FOSS4G logo that may be of interest - to
>> be honest they are mostly related to the Sydney harbour.
>> - My fav is is an abstract aerial view of the opera house folding
>> into that ribbon thing - I assume the map inclined will have a fun
>> time when they figure out what the shapes represent.-  I am tempted
>> to just draw the ribbon thing up side down and see if I get shot.
>> - It would also be funny to do the "Enternity" cursive but that may
>> make a long story for everyone who asks
>> - A simple classic boomerang with the ribbon curve on it would
>> probably be good; (perhaps get a bulk order a bit of card stock and a
>> can of spray paint you may have a good alternative to a t-shirt to
>> hand out in the conference materials).
>>
>> And had a few more ideas - the most promising is to create one of
>> those nice dream map dot painting things with the ribbon in it; or
>> use it to make a mental dream map of the open source projects would
>> be way cool. Other than tyring to figure out where to start I am sure
>> it would just be taken as a colour blind test :-)
>>
>> For Aust-NZ it is a bit more hard; how about:
>> - the compass is so northern hemisphere - how about the same ring
>> with the souther cross inside rather than an arrow? It is on both
>> flags is it not?
>> - I tried drawing the compass upside down but it was useless
>> - draw the compass - with a few extra lines hinting at the souther
>> hemisphere - my just end up look like it is sitting in a bowl?
>>
>> Let me know if any of the above is of interest and I can draw them up.
>> Jody
>>
>> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>> Jody,
>>> Interested?