[Aust-NZ] [Fwd: Fee vs Free] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ian.Batley at ga.gov.au Ian.Batley at ga.gov.au
Wed Aug 20 16:13:50 PDT 2008

I do not know if there are any ABS people on this list but they could
probably provide info on the effect of free vs fee from when they changed
their approach.

As an example from their 2006-7 Annual report
http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/3E14B0CB530F1C1BCA2573
71001405C9?opendocument
While the release of the 2006 Census output on the ABS website marked a
significant milestone in the way the ABS communicates information,
developments are continuing in an attempt to optimise communication to all
levels across government, the business sector and the community. The ABS'
goal is to increase the use of statistics and to improve understanding of the
content, caveats, contexts and limitations of the data, to assist user
assessment of fitness for purpose of the data. To achieve this we are working
to provide more relevant, understandable and interesting content. We are also
working on effective presentation of information on the website by utilising
opportunities available from web technology.
The introduction of free statistics on the website has ensured that use of
the ABS website continues to grow. This growth is an indication that more
Australians are using statistics as the basis for decision making across all
sectors. The ABS has continued the transition away from print media and we
are now releasing some statistics exclusively on the ABS website, making
effective use of the internet medium and the features available.

The success of the work on using the website for dissemination of information
gained international recognition in 2006-07. A recent survey of more than 700
international economists by the Parisian International Chamber of Commerce
and Ifo Institute, which is an economic research centre attached to the
University of Munich, concluded that the ABS website is the second best
national statistical organisation (NSO) website. Statistics Slovenia came in
first of the sixty-five NSOs and the ABS tied with Statistics Norway for
second place, with Denmark and Finland also rating highly.

Ian Batley
ian.batley at ga.gov.au