[Aust-NZ] PSI Submission 3rd Draft

shoaib saburq at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 01:40:34 PDT 2008

My take on CC Attribution, not sure if you can fit it in:

------

It has been found that a large amount of government data is currently in a
state of limbo from a licensing perspective. These include data that could
potentially be made public but due to the lack of standardising on a type of
license is either unavailable to public or a lack of a clear license
agreement deters potential user of this data. This is unfortunate since a
great deal of public good could be derived from such data sets.

A potential solution to streamlining the distribution of data via the
internet is to apply the Creative Commons Attribution license across whole
of government, where appropriate. This might include unclassified data, data
where no restrictions exist or where an Act of Parliament makes it mandatory
to make the data public. Please see:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/au/legalcode

It is recommended that government departments seek legal advice with regards
to specific data-sets which might currently be in a state of limbo or where
it is felt a review of licensing should be performed. However Creative
Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia license can allow government department to
minimise their liability while maximising the use of spatial data for public
good with proper attribution to the source. It also provide a 'base' set of
legal rights and responsibilities that can be built upon where required.

-------

shoaib

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com