[Aust-NZ] Re: Strategic Investment in Geonetwork Open Source(draft paper)

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Tue Jul 15 23:06:52 PDT 2008

IMO:

Cameron, congratulations on taking the initiative with this paper. Well
done!

I think that Rob has hit the nail on the head with his constructive
criticism of this paper.

The last two bullet points are particularly important. I don't think that
we have the model right yet.

We need to allow for concurrent development activities by a wide range of
groups within the Geonetwork community.

I was intending to respond within the word document with track-changes,
however time has moved on and the doc is now in a wiki (Mark was too
quick).

Comments on the document:

- The quote attributed to me links to a thread that I initiated on
OSGeo-Discuss in September last year. Is this the thread that
  was intended? It appears to be linked to several times (in error?)

- As discussed previously on this list, I think that the SDI fundamentals
section should be excluded, or should be revised
  and also reference appropriate work.

- pp 5-7, for more background information on using Open Source software in
Australia see [1], AGIMO's
  Guide to Open Source Software which has some good (dated) general
information and [2], which is
  a summary of a survey also run by AGIMO on the opinon of CIOs on Open
Source software.

- p13, the title is ambiguous, Assessing ANZLIC's Investment. As I
understand it, this is in
  fact an investment by many organisations around Australia and New
Zealand.

- p14, I find this proposed structure a little confusing. See also my
leading comments to this email.

- p15, Can the role of Community Liaison Officer be expanded on? This is
similar to a proposal that Rob Woodcock and
  Jeroen Ticheler have both made. Would it be possible for this role to
handle the entire SISS rather that just GeoNetwork?

- pp16-21, I agree with Rob, two of the most important stakeholders are
missing, the GeoNetwork Community and the
  GeoNetwork Project Steering Committee. Also, shouldn't the
organisation's nominate their own people?

Regards,

Bruce Bannerman

[1]
http://www.finance.gov.au/publications/guide-to-open-source-software/index.html
[2]
http://www.agimo.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/65009/Open_Source_Software_Overview_November_2007.pdf

<Robert.Woodcock at csiro.au>
Sent by: aust-nz-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
30/06/2008 01:35 PM

<Aust-NZ at lists.osgeo.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [Aust-NZ] Re: Strategic Investment in Geonetwork Open Source(draft
paper)

Hi Everyone,

I’ve a few comments on the Strategic Investment in Geonetwork Open
Source(draft paper) document:
Much of the document is an outline of what constitutes appropriate
software project management. In that regard it is a useful guide when
assessing investments, activities and teams for the uninitiated
GeoNetwork stakeholders list is useful in understanding some of the
interactions occurring. Interestingly though it does not mention the
GeoNetwork Project Steering Committee? (There is also an error in the
CSIRO section, the words for the Business Drivers are Rob Woodcock’s
(mine) not Rob Atkinson’s - just don’t want Rob A to be blamed!)
The Community Liaison Officer would significantly assist development
contributions (from any participant) in better informing stakeholders and
in prioritising work (informed decision making) across those organisations
that choose to participate through this coordination process – noting of
course that this coordination process is not the GeoNetwork one (that
isn’t necessarily a bad thing as the objective is to better coordinate
ANZLIC investments, not take over GeoNetwork)
It is entirely possible, potentially useful, for ANZLIC sponsors to pool
their resources and form a critical mass development team with appropriate
project management in order to further their goals with GeoNetwork. – this
may in fact be all that the document is describing but it isn’t clear to
me that is the case, as my next point describes, and if it is then how do
other projects, like NCIRS SISS, interact given they can directly assist
the ANZLIC objectives if properly informed?
I’m concerned that the document confuses the multiple community objectives
that make up “GeoNetwork” development, bundling them into a single
geonetwork activity. I believe it is important that this be understood
more clearly as it impacts stakeholder expectations – for example,
expecting a production grade outcome from a project contribution that,
whilst adding the desired feature, is only resourced and intended to add a
demonstration feature. More over, I’m concerned that this confusion leads
to a proposition that “developers can be pooled together under a common
project and project manager but still answerable to their respective
organisations”. Whilst that may be possible under a secondment style
arrangement for resources the ANZLIC sponsors control, that isn’t the type
of situation that exists in many useful cases. Groups like BlueNet
previously and NCRIS SISS which are funded to deliver to their
stakeholders have project management and contractual obligations – they
can’t second staff to nor be answerable to an Aust/NZ steering committee.
Indeed, I can’t see those resources being leveraged in a useful form if an
external Project Manager attempts to manage those projects, it may cause
conflict. These project types, where willing, can respond to a clear call
for features or bug fixes etc and/or allow their contributions to be
leveraged elsewhere (where their contractual terms permit and the
communication of those development priorities are clear). Indeed, many
open source project operate effectively on this principle.

Achieving critical development mass, particularly around quality issues
and production releases, has been one of the principle objectives of the
NCIRS SISS project setup. It is unusual in that regard because it isn’t
focussed on building features for its stakeholders but on tackling a “gap”
in the current community investments in the spatial services stack that is
hampering deployment efforts by multiple organisations (including some
ANZLIC ones) that NCRIS would like to see happen. The NCRIS SISS project
stakeholders are in fact interested in responding to a clear call for
features and bug fixes!

The other main objective has been to work towards a “customer” engagement
model which provides a more informed decision making process – the
Community Liaison role suggested is one such approach, especially when
matched with an equivalent developer liaison role so the “pair” can inform
both up and down the communications pipe. Ben Searle is on the NCRIS SISS
Project Committee to assist in this regards, though Ben is still keen to
see this model improved further.

Regards,

Rob
Project Director – Auscope Grid
SISS – Project Manager

Dr Robert Woodcock
CSIRO Exploration & Mining ,
ARRC, 26 Dick Perry Ave,
Kensington, WA 6151 Australia
Phone +61 8 6436 8780 Fax +61 8 6436 8586