[Aust-NZ] Geoscience Australia goes CC-BY [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Sun Dec 6 21:57:28 PST 2009

> If spatial data is to be provided free of charge under
> Creative Commons (CC) licencing then the accompanying
> metadata should determine and reflect the "fit for purpose".
>
> Isn't this the whole arguement regarding providing free data
> downloads by Geoscience Australia or other agencies?

Hi Ross,

IMO:

I'm missing the point that you're trying to make.

Wrt "fit for purpose", that is in the eye of the user. Only they will be able to determine the answer after assessing the (quality of the) data and the metadata and it's 'intended use'.

Wrt "intended use", that is in the eye of the data creator. I created this data for this purpose. If you use if for some other purpose then that's your problem... User beware.

Bruce