[Aust-NZ] Geoscience Australia goes CC-BY [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Sun Dec 6 22:11:08 PST 2009

Hi Bruce,

I don't see any need to educate users about licences, I'm not sure where I said that, but certainly didn't intend to. Just something about inappropriate uses of the data (fitness for purpose - metadata).

I also didn't say the metadata requirements should be part of the licence. What I meant to say (& perhaps not very well expressed) was that a _STANDARD_ for releasing open data should include a licence, a common & facilitative approach to attribution, and a standard description of the data (provenance/metadata).

I think the CC3-BY licence is adequate, if not ideal, for the open data licence component. The ANZLIC/ISO/FGDC/GCMD/etc. profiles are fine for the metadata (even better if we can rationalise/merge those), but I'd still like to see an appropriate & standardised form for attribution to be used with the CC-BY licence.

I'd like to see a _STANDARD_ promulgated for open access data that includes all three components. At present I think there is a narrow focus on just the _LICENCE_ component, and like you, I'd like to see wider use of appropriate metadata in conjunction with the licence.

So, assuming I've interpreted your comments correctly, & without trying to put words in your mouth, I don't think we really see things very differently :-)

Spotcha,

  Brent