[Aust-NZ] Time to move - Incorporation ofOSGeo-AustNZ [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Wed Feb 4 19:55:05 PST 2009

Hi Bruce,

I'm still unclear as to what the insurance will cover. The point of setting up as a distinct legal entity (incorporation) is so that members have no individual legal liabilities. Sure, if someone really wants to, they can sue the association, but if it doesn't have any assets there isn't much point.

None of the groups I've been involved with have seen a need for any insurance, specifically because of the legal protections afforded by incorporation.

Members can still be held liable for anything illegal they may undertake in the association's name, but you can't normally get cover for illegal acts, and any members who were not party to those acts are pretty safe anyway.

Can you please explain what liabilities or risks the proposed insurance cover is for?

Thanks,

  Brent