[Aust-NZ] CrisisCamp Pakistan Floods, Sydney (4-5 Sept)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 20:48:30 PDT 2010

Gavin wrote:
> One request we've received from the field in Pakistan is
> the ability to create simple A4 maps from a web-based
> system. Perhaps something a bit like Walking Papers <http://walkingpapers.org/> - although it is
> something we need embedded within Sahana Eden (a
> web2py/python app that uses OpenLayers) so that we can
> export pdf maps for printing utilising both remote layers,
> as well our our internal data.
>
> Our current deployment is at <http://pakistan.sahanafoundation.org/>
>
> If anyone has any bright ideas on how we could achieve this
> - we'd love some input from the geospatial community.
> Likewise - we'd gladly take any support from people with
> experience in python, openlayers and other relevant
> geospatial tools.

perhaps cc to the osgeo-discuss mailing list? maybe some wider ideas there.

fwiw I'd collected the names of several WalkingPaper-alikes here:
  http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/LINZ#After_the_dance

which draws heavily from here:
  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_on_Paper

what would the base of the data be? maps.google.com/OSM/Bing/gdal2tiles.py
TMS or similar pre-rendered background tiles in Openlayers with Sahana x,y
datapoints taken from a MySQL db?

Mapnik would nice to use for back-end processed rendering, but I've only
ever used that with PostGIS.

Is a complicated toolchain set up by experts on a managed server no-good
vs. something local which can be used offline without adding too much to
the footprint of the local deployment? is integration with Openlayers
itself needed, or a just work/look alike experience?

regards,
Hamish