[Aust-NZ] Open Source Mapping shakes competitors

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Tue Oct 26 14:43:15 PDT 2010

Hi Jody,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>wrote:

> I always compare and contrast this with the projects need of servers.
> I would love to know if Microsoft and AOL are serving the data from
> their own hardware or not?

MapQuest (AOL) are now hosting un-throttled implementations of the Nominatim
geocoder, the Directions Service routing engine, and the MapQuest-styled
tiles. All of which is (hopefully) going to take some load off the OSM
folks.

http://devblog.mapquest.com/2010/10/21/nominatim-potlach2-and-tiger-edited-map-on-developer-network/
http://devblog.mapquest.com/2010/08/24/mapquest-opens-tiles-and-style-enables-rapid-data-updates/

Can't speak as much for Microsoft, but last time I looked the OSM tiles
within Bing were coming off a Microsoft CDN rather than the OSM servers.

Rob :)