[OSGeo Oceania] Background info for anyone considering a FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2020 proposal

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 00:10:56 PDT 2019

Hi all,

We've been asked for background information on FOSS4G SotM Oceania, so that
people can consider putting in a proposal for 2020. In the interests of
making sure anyone considering a proposal has fair & equal access to
background information, I suggest we can share it in this thread. Please
feel free to ask questions here as well.

We've been asked:

*How much seed funding can OSGeo Oceania provide?*
At this point, we don't have a good answer to this question. It's worth
noting that in both 2018 and 2019, we didn't incur any significant expenses
until we had income from sponsorship & registrations, so seed funding
hasn't been necessary to date. We may be able to provide some seed funding
if necessary, we'd be very happy to work with people to develop a budget
for a proposed event.

*How much was raised through registration and sponsorship income?*
In 2018, we surpassed our targets on both fronts, raising revenue of AUD
$45k in sponsorship and other funding, and AUD $99k in registrations.
Obviously what can be expected in any given year will be controlled by a
lot of factors, including location, economic conditions, and success in
attracting sponsors and attendees. The sheer size of Melbourne was a
significant factor in registration numbers.

*Any additional documentation?*
There's quite a lot! We can share specifics as needed, but here are a few
starting points:
* 2018 timeline [1]
* 2019 timeline [2]
* 2018 Lessons Learned [3]

We see running the conference as a collaborative, community-driven
exercise, so we'd expect to have a conference committee made up of the
people driving a local proposal working alongside people who have been
involved over the last couple of years, so there will be plenty of support
along the way.

Cheers!
John

[1]