[OSGeo Oceania] membership - elections - AGM

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 01:32:11 PDT 2019

Thanks Cameron

*>I think our membership process should be inclusive and easy to join by
anyone interested in OSGeo Oceania, with the one caveat that we should
protect ourselves from being overtaken by being swamped by bad actors.*
+1

*>I suggest starting from the OSGeo charter member process*
I like the OSGeo Charter Member model, as it aims for gradual growth based
on established trust. I'd be a bit concerned that some might feel excluded
if they're not already in established networks, but there could be ways to
mitigate this.

A couple of questions on this model:

   1. I can see how it works well once established, but how might it work
   initially? Would we suggest that interested people ask to be nominated?
   Would they need to explain why they should be a member?
   2. How to keep membership list fresh? Maybe if a member doesn't fulfill
   their duties (eg. doesn't vote for 2 or 3 consecutive years), their
   membership is suspended?