[OSGeo Oceania] membership - elections - AGM

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 17:07:57 PDT 2019

I think our membership process should be inclusive and easy to join by
anyone interested in OSGeo Oceania, with the one caveat that we should
protect ourselves from being overtaken by being swamped by bad actors.

With that in mind, I suggest starting from the OSGeo charter member
process, which aimed to achieve these goals and I think it pretty close to
what we want.
https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=Membership_Process_2018&redirect=no

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 at 13:58, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to kick off a discussion around membership of OSGeo Oceania, and
> how we elect directors to the board. We don't need to rush, but should move
> with purpose, so we can complete our mandate, and an incoming board of
> directors can begin with a solid foundation. Let's aim to get through as
> much of this as we can in the next couple of weeks, to have time to make
> arrangements ahead of the conference rush.
>
> For background, in our Terms of Reference
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/13aZ6L08ke1-l32I7c00MahyEKgxeZkq8/view>,
> we agreed to get this done in 2019:
>
>    - *determine a process for recruiting and managing an appropriate
>    general membership*
>    - *determine a process for renewal of board membership, including
>    accountability to the general membership, and clarify such items as term
>    limits and staggering of terms*
>
> I think these are the key questions we need to answer:
>
>    1. *Membership*: We need to recruit a membership who will vote on a
>    board of directors, and maintain a register of these members. How do we do
>    it? What are the rights & obligations of members? Do we charge a small
>    annual fee?
>    2. *Elections*: When will these be held? How do we run them? Do we
>    appoint a CRO?
>
> Regarding timing, I would see us holding our AGM at the conference, but
> holding elections in the weeks following. I previously thought it might
> make sense to have the elections at the AGM, but on reflection I realise
> that would exclude people who aren't attending the conference from
> participating, and we should be looking to the wider community.
>
> We have some financial support from OSGeo for seeking professional
> advice/assistance, so let's consider what questions we need answered by the
> pros. We may need to look at updating our constitution and our Terms of
> Reference.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers
> John