[OSGeo Oceania] membership - elections - AGM

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 22:27:40 PDT 2019

HI John

I also like the OSGeo process for charter members, and an ability to prune
members with a clear minimum participation level, as in anyone who did note
vote or return an apology is gone. Which might seem pretty harsh, but once
a year reading some summaries and ticking a box is pretty low bandwidth.

We need to resolve paid membership first - the constitution is ok with
either free or paid membership. I think the OSGeo system works in part
because it's free.

By contrast in OSMF, I just paid them money and I can vote. If I stop
paying, I can’t vote anymore - so it's a different model. And also ok.

I think the first (OSGeo) approach mitigates the risk of being overrun by
interest groups. If we want to mix that with paid membership, I think we
will have to get people to nominate themselves as members - so that would
end with money plus a ‘positive attributes’ qualifier being two bars to
cross.

I think we need one, or the other - we can’t do both. I prefer membership
remaining free (like OSGeo), with a clearer boundary around what the
conditions are (less clear in OSGeo, much more clear for OSMF).

As OSGeo Oceania grows, it’s probably necessary to adjust the constitution
to have a ’no veto’ approach to voting on board members and new members,
rather than quotas or numbers. I wonder if that’s possible?

Sorry, bit of an essay - trying to unpack tangled thoughts.

Cheers