[OSGeo Oceania] membership - elections - AGM

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 02:55:16 PDT 2019

Thanks a lot Cameron, Adam, Ed, & Greg (and Anonymous :) ) for extensive
review & input.

There are a couple of big questions we need to address (and they're
inextricably linked, so let's discuss them in tandem):

*1. Will we have 2 tiers of membership, ie. general and charter?*
The 2 tier idea was proposed as a way to ensure there is a low barrier to
entry for all, but that we also have a means of ensuring that voting
members meet some basic eligibility guidelines, partly to protect the
organisation from bad actors. However, there are legitimate concerns about
adding complexity and confusion. The alternative is to have a single type
of membership, in which we'd need to balance low barrier and eligibility.

... which leads to ...

*2. What is our eligibility criteria?*
The threshold was initially proposed as active volunteering, with reference
to the OSGeo charter member "positive attributes". After a bit of
discussion at last week's board meeting, we agreed to try and re-articulate
these for our particular situation. But there are some legitimate concerns
that they may be too high a bar. The resolution of the two-tiers question
will play into this.

I need some help in resolving these questions, can I get some feedback?
What are your thoughts? Board, you'll be asked to pass this once it's
complete, what are your thoughts on these questions?

There are also a number of practical considerations being discussed in the
draft document [1], these are worth looking at as well.

Thanks
John

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14_6Ru8Xy5jGIuWXysuIJQwQonmjhtlpmHbqVwtOsUNA