[OSGeo Oceania] membership - elections - AGM

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 06:26:24 PDT 2019

Hey Alister, great comments and thanks for chiming in.

Re: what OSGeo Oceania is likely to do... in the immediate term, continue
running the FOSS4G SotM Oceania regional conference series. Beyond that, up
for discussion, but there has been a lot of talk about things like running
smaller events across the region, supporting local user groups, supporting
& ecouraging open geospatial contributions, and helping people in Oceania
get engaged with OSGeo & OSM activities at an international level. I'm sure
more will come up, once we've graduated from this year of establishing the
entity :)

Re: bad actors, Andrew Harvey mentioned a situation that unfolded in OSMF
last year:

> *Recently there was a coordinated effort by one company to mass sign up
> members to the OSMF which raised some eyebrows:
> https://openstreetmap.lu/MWGGlobalLogicReport20181226.pdf
> <https://openstreetmap.lu/MWGGlobalLogicReport20181226.pdf>*

Hopefully very unlikely to happen to us, but if we can protect ourselves
from something like it, we should.

*If the requirement to be a charter member is simply to participate on an
> email list, does the two-tier membership really provide any protection?*

I think this is a good point, and one I agree with. I feel we should have
some clear criteria for eligibility for voting rights for this reason. They
don't need to be especially onerous or exclusive, but they should be
articulated such that they can be practically implemented.

Other mechanisms? I don't know... but this would be a great time to
identify them :)