[OSGeo Oceania] membership - elections - AGM

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 00:16:35 PDT 2019

Good points. As always, we need to find a balance between capturing every
detail & what's achievable given limited volunteer time. To some degree I
hope we are all working on mutual trust, and the working in the open helps
establish a foundation for this trust.

*Also, the possibility of a corrupt board has been raised in the comments
> on the document.  If this is a real concern, it may be worth discussing the
> assumption that this should be run like a Westminster style democracy (i.e.
> the board is elected and then does whatever it likes during its term).
> Perhaps there could be procedure for a "recall" or vote of no confidence in
> the board, or for members to challenge a particular action of the board.*

I believe (though I'm not a lawyer, nor have I consulted one on this) that
our constitution [1] and the Australian Corporations Act cover member
resolutions and removing directors (see [2]). We could potentially add a
reference to this in our Membership policy, but should avoid adding an
extra layer of process, unless it's necessary.

[1] https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kakpBuOsF6ObF4IiUVSA2PRI3-7Asy7P/view
[2] https://www.pageseager.com.au/a-guide-to-removing-directors/