[OSGeo Oceania] membership - elections - AGM

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 01:29:56 PDT 2019

Thanks all for a quite robust discussion on this important topic, it's
really great to see this much engagement. There seems to be a fair bit of
discomfort with the two tier model proposed, and I agree that it may
introduce more complexity than we really want. To move forward, I'd like to
propose a simplified alternative:

   - We have a single type of membership that confers voting rights.
   - To ensure a reasonable level of engagement, while protecting the org
   against bad actors/hostile takeover/etc, we roughly follow this process:
      - take nominations for new members
      - use an eligibility threshold that balances accessibility with
      genuine engagement
      - include a ratification step that could be done by the board, or a
      membership working group (TBD)

This doesn't capture all the detail of how this would work, but if it's
acceptable in broad strokes, I can update our draft policy and we can work
through the details over next couple of days.

Any objections?