[OSGeo Oceania] A discussion on openness

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 19:39:14 PST 2020

Thanks Edoardo, for raising this important discussion so darn eloquently.

I think everyone would agree that transparency is a balancing act, finding
the happy medium between too much and not enough information.

When OSGeo Oceania was created in December 2018, we worked on finding a
good balance, and agreed:

   - to discuss and decide on a public list, except where privacy was
   deemed appropriate (ie. public by default)
   - casual/operational discussions could occur in "informal" channels eg.
   Slack, with a preference for public channels
   - meeting notes and a record of decisions would be published

To me, this still seems like a reasonable balance. The hardest one to
achieve seems to be the first one (public by default), and I admit that
while I was on the board, I didn't always live up to this. On at least one
occasion I can recall, I kicked off a significant discussion in private,
for reasons of expediency, that perhaps warranted a broader audience.
Specifically: later in 2019, after developing the membership policy took
much more time and effort than expected, we needed to update our
constitution to enable a membership intake and elections before the end of
the year. The 9 directors were the only formal "members" at that point, so
it was technically legitimate to review and update the constitution without
taking it to the broader community, but it certainly would have been
preferable to build a broader consensus. In the end, expediency won, and I
hope that on review of the changes, most would agree that it was the right
choice.

On the "we are all volunteers, and this is hard" line of reasoning: it
comes up often, and it's certainly true and fair. But I think it's too
often held up as an excuse for not following through. Holding board
discussions in public doesn't necessarily add to the volunteer workload; I
think it actually reduces it by allowing people with specific knowledge to
contribute at the right time, and allow others to follow along, spreading
the workload across a larger volunteer base. It also may help in keeping
people accountable for their words & actions. In the case of publishing
meeting notes and decisions - if these are kept properly, then publishing
them is a relatively tiny task that takes just a few minutes a month for
one person.

As Phil says, it's about trust. We need to be able to trust the board to do
no harm. But there is a difference between trust and faith. I believe trust
is earned, through living up to your promises and acting ethically at all
times (whether in the public eye or not). For me, it has been a difficult
year as I've grappled with issues of trust as they relate to OSGeo Oceania.
In the last few months, I've tried hard to stay positive and constructive,
but tenacious on the issue of transparency, because I feel that the
organisation has been relying on faith, and needs to rebuild trust. OSGeo
Oceania has made some improvements, which shows how important it is for the
community to pay attention and ask questions.

I'm not 100% sure whether living up to the agreed standards of transparency
would have helped us avoid the situation that caused me to resign. It might
have happened anyway. But it might have helped.

Thanks
John