[OSGeo Oceania] Budget for FY 2021/2022

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 22:25:33 PDT 2021

Hey Graeme

I think that we are essentially doing what you propose for the Special
Interest Groups, for example. We have proposed that there are a pool of
funds available for each of the two that have started and they can use
these how they see fit, within reason, before they have their own income
sources.

And with respect to the hubs, I started doing accounting on the basis that
I would track how each performed, but it's a lot of work to do centrally,
whereas each hub managing their own budget is really easy. What we decided
to do was to have some oversight on the budget of each hub, but to track
the conference as a whole. So I can run a profit and loss report now for
the conference, and everything is clear. Doing that 6-8 times would be
really tedious...and of limited value.

And ultimately, what we have achieved is a great conference where some hubs
cross subsidise others. I know a number of people donated a lot of time and
also only requested partial reimbursement, as a real contribution to the
event's bottom line.

Anyhow, I'm rambling now. I'm off to stare at the budget a bit more and to
respond to earlier emails... I feel we're a bit off track with this
conversation.

Also, I should really apologise about getting upset. I feel very defensive
sometimes and need to trust people's intentions are good.

Cheers,

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 at 14:45, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hope you don't mind a comment / thought from outside! :-)
>
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 at 12:38, Edoardo Neerhut <eneerhut at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I share Greg's views that a separate pool of funds for each hub starts to
>> undermine the potential of OSGeo Oceania, particularly for locations where
>> it is hard to raise funds.
>>

> Having been involved with raising funds for volunteer groups, could I
> share a thought or two?
>
> I agree that if Outer Black Stump, or a tiny Island nation, have raised at
> least some of the funds to do something, they won't be happy to see those
> funds go back to the National body as part of Consolidated Revenue (even if
> they're earmarked for more similar functions).
>
> A possible solution? (& apologies if it's already been discussed &
> rejected!)
>
> How about OO provides funds of "$5000" to do "this", which is held & run
> so successfully that it brings in $6000. The original $5000 get's returned
> to OO with thanks, & the profit is kept locally to be used for further
> activities?
>
> Workable?
>
> Thanks
>
> Graeme