[OSGeo Oceania] Fwd: [talk-au] ABC article - Google Maps in Eromanga

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 21:29:21 PDT 2021

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 at 11:28, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 at 15:36, Edoardo Neerhut <eneerhut at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if this story could be used to inspire an OpenStreetMap mapathon
>> in Eromanga. We could stump up some money from the OSM SIG pool of funds to
>> cover food/drinks, find a local venue, and then skype in to show how
>> everyone in the town can contribute to OpenStreetMap.
>>
>> Probably just need one local (Mayor) perhaps to help us with on the
>> ground coordination.
>>
>> Crazy idea or something we should do?
>>

>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-14/google-maps-outback-queensland-street-view-inaccurate/100065310
>>

> It's definitely not a silly idea, Ed!
>
> & from the article
>
> "Corey Richards ... the operations manager at the Eromanga Natural History
> Museum" would probably be a good person to talk to?

I've been thinking about this over the last few days, & the more I think
about it, the better the idea sounds!

As I mentioned t'other day, I started updating things in Alpha, based on
Barcaldine Council's town map & list of POI, together with Bob's Mapillary
imagery, & have so far been able to add a bit to the main street, as well
as correct a couple of previous errors. While working, I was thinking about
how to go about handing it over to locals, & who?

As Martin suggested ^ - how about the local school/s?

Alpha has a State School that is Prep - 10, & according to their website:

"All students from P-10 have access to a device, either a laptop, iPad or
tablet computer for school use.  The classrooms also have desktop computers
for student use.

Students in Year 5-8 also access LOTE via Distance Education and use their
computers for this purpose."
Sounds ideal to me!

It would all depend on the Principal, naturally, but you could probably
push an *Intro to OSM & Online Mapping* through as part of Social Studies
(or whatever it's called these days?) for Years 7 - 10?

Just as a rough idea, we'd probably need to come up with an intro video,
explaining what OSM is, how it works & emphasizing that it really all rests
on the shoulders of the people in each town / area to enter correct
details, then keep them up to date, (Such a thing possibly even already
exists?) followed by something like the initial walk-through in iD to show
how to do the basics? Possibly then follow that up a "week" later with a
live, or online, appearance by one of us to help explain / troubleshoot &
so on?

How would it be done for actual mapping? Set up just one account for "Alpha
State School" which everybody uses, or get each person to create their own
account?

What do we all think? Doable, or pushing that well known bodily by-product
uphill?

Thanks

Graeme