[OSGeo Oceania] Funding request - QGIS SIG

Greg Lauer gregory.lauer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 01:58:21 PST 2021

Great to see community proposal coming in!

My only real comment is as follows:

I am not sure the Board really needs vote on this type of small expenditure. Rather than the SIG ask the Board for funds for individual items (such as the printing of the stickers) I feel it would be better for the the SIG to manage its own funding decisions internally through what ever processes it sees fits. OSGeo Oceania can assist this by making funds available as part of an annual budget for the SIG to manage (I thought I did see this in the initial SIG drafts but I may be mistaken).

As the budget has already been set for 20/21 and includes $10,000 for Outreach and community support (see
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cbd3Rt5R688qrZ3eTCHxpRZ8HbII358_1UARf3m5qBs/edit#gid=0) then I think all it really requires is that the QGIS SIG Chair submits a request to OSGeo Oceania for 'Funding' and annual budget (say $2500?), then the Board discusses and (hopefully) approves (as we have budget allocated). The the QGIS SIG can then manage its own budget how it sees fit, and in a timely matter, and in turn the OSGeo Board can focus large strategic issues.

I would like to think that the above could resolved in a similar time period as in asking for $400.

Greg.