[OSGeo Oceania] [Oceania-Board] ASIC Industry Funding Levy - OSGeo Oceania Ltd

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 23:20:40 PDT 2021

Hey Folks

We did look into charitable status, and I was talking to someone else about
this the other day.

The issue with being a charitable organisation is that it does enable
people to donate money to us without them paying tax on it (tax deductible
donations), but it limits what we can spend that money on. For example, we
could not spend the money on travel grants.

So it was agreed that it's not worth getting charitable status. We can look
into it, and I have a colleague who is doing a leadership program with me
who has more experience, so I can talk to him more about it. I am not
convinced that it's worth the effort, though.

Cheers,