[OSGeo Oceania] EU Cyber Resilience Act - regional impacts in Oceania?

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 20:48:28 PDT 2023

Hey Adam

Thanks for sharing.

I think the thread you started has a nice set of opinions from Even, Jody
and Ivan. Each with their own take. I quite like Ivan's idea to hack the
law, and just add a clause to licenses that say "don't use this if you're
going to hold us responsible for security issues"!

I'm not sure a regional response is important, but I'd be happy to put our
support behind the broader OSGeo response if that helps.

Something we could do if we feel we have a good handle on it is to get in
touch with folks at GA/CSIRO to raise the issue. Trick is finding someone
who will understand it and who is willing to take a bit of
responsibility to dive into the issue. I'd like to get back on top of more
advocacy like this, and will speak at a local event about "open stuff"
again, highlighting the importance of open data, open source and open
licenses... there's still a lot of fundamentals to educate on before we
tackle EU rules too!

Cheers,

Alex

On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 at 07:39, Adam Steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just written to discuss at osgeo about the proposed EU Cyber Resilience
> Act [1]. It is summarised with some thoughts a bout potential impacts on
> open source software here:
>

> https://github.blog/2023-07-12-no-cyber-resilience-without-open-source-sustainability/
>
> What impacts do you see in Oceania? From small projects (eg turfJS) to
> huge international (QGIS) efforts to (largely afaik) government
> contributions (terriaJS/Opendatacube/??).
>
> Happy to hear your thoughts. The OSGeo board is discussing a response,
> perhaps a regional response is also useful?
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam
>
> --
> Adam Steer