[GeoForAll-UrbanScience] Ideas on spatio-temporal analysis of air quality point data

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sat Nov 14 06:09:19 PST 2015

Hi OpenCItySmart colleagues,

As a GeoForAll thematic sub-community, I'm posting this email in part to
investigate whether we can start to move toward more substantive dialog
around interesting research puzzles we are having. If anyone disagrees with
this idea please say so -- we are building a community culture here. So
here's a question a student and I are encountering. I'd like any ideas from
colleagues on this list on QGIS-related analysis:

A public health colleague of mine has taken air quality samples (5 second
intervals) over 2 weeks in six locations in a city in Asia and measured two
public health contaminants. I have a student trying to use QGIS to analyze
these data. We want to understand the spatial-temporal patterns in this
data (where/when there are particularly dangerous levels, and where/when
there are not).

*Are there spatio-temporal analytic or visualization techniques in QGIS or
related extensions we should investigate?* Or if anyone knows of any papers
that describe a technique we should look at, please advise.

Thanks!

Charlie

P.S. Our grant proposal to US NSF is still under review. Is anyone else
working on any relevant proposals to move our community forward?

--
Charlie Schweik

Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Dept of Environmental Conservation and Center for Public Policy and
Administration

Personal website: http://people.umass.edu/cschweik
Publications: http://works.bepress.com/charles_schweik/

Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545