[OpenDroneMap-users] question about resolution and camera orientation

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 08:33:11 PST 2015

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Stephen Mather <stephen at smathermather.com>
wrote:

> Hi Anna,
>
> Matching should be parallelized. What are you running it on
> (hardware/hosting, OS)? Just Bundler should be single-threaded, if memory
> serves (not that memory always serves). My general recommendation is throw
> as much resources as possible. All the test datasets will process in a
> couple hours or less on a 32GB RAM digital ocean machine, which costs about
> $2 to run. I also have a workstation I do testing on which has 12
> processors and 32GB of RAM plus an SSD RAID. That is a pleasant machine to
> run datasets on. I know many have had success with larger Amazon instances
> as well -- perhaps someone on the list can speak to those experiences.
>
> As a point of contrast, running on a VM on my ultra-book is an exercise in
> frustration. :)

I am currently running it on my Ubuntu laptop (8 cores, 4GB memory), but
using the Vagrant file provided and it's really frustrating. I plan to move
it on a more powerful machine, but it was more convenient for me to test it
first on my machine.

> If it is a dataset you can share, I can run some tests and see if I am
> seeing similar issues.

I am not sure if the data can be shared. I will first try to run it on a
better machine and see if that helps.

Thanks for your help!

Anna

> Cheers,
> Best,
> Steve
>

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:58 PM, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:23 PM, Stephen Mather <
>> stephen at smathermather.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Anna,
>>>
>>> Yes "--resize-to" will typically help get you a denser point cloud. I
>>> have found --resize-to 3000 to be a useful default, though the project
>>> currently defaults to 2400 to avoid swamping people's machines.
>>>

>> I am currently experimenting with larger images but it takes too long.
>> Just the matching takes forever. I wonder why the matching is not running
>> in parallel, if it's not implemented yet, it can't be implemented easily or
>> it gets confused since I am running it in virtual box?
>>

>>> There's a lot to be done on the documentation side. Also, while the
>>> meshing and texturing portions of the codebase are novel, some other
>>> portions (Bundler, CMVS, PMVS) are projects onto themselves, so it will
>>> take a bit of exploration to figure out optimal parameters. As we (as a
>>> community) discover those optimal parameters, we can improve the sane
>>> defaults, and document good alternatives.
>>>

>> I was looking for some better documentation for these projects, but I
>> didn't find anything helpful. I wish I would know more about the actual
>> algorithms, but that's not my background.
>>

>>> (That said, there is plenty of documentation to be written that I or
>>> others already know, so that is a priority)
>>>
>>> As to XYZ, yaw, pitch, and roll, OpenDroneMap does not yet take that
>>> into account. I would be excited to see this, perhaps even using SFCGAL or
>>> other 3D library for doing proper image footprints a la:
>>>

>>> https://smathermather.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/uas-drone-footprint-geometries-calculated-in-postgis-with-sfcgal-for-real-this-time/
>>>

>> Great blog!
>>

>>> This would substantially reduce the processing time on the "match" step,
>>> which is a decent proportion of the current processing time.
>>>
>>> Also, I haven't written any documentation on it yet, but in the
>>> bundle.out file in reconstruction-with-image-size-2400 can be loaded in
>>> Meshlab to check camera positions and determine sanity of camera positions.
>>> There's a youtube video on that somewhere that I'll dig up.
>>>

>> Right, I noticed that.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Anna
>>

>>> Cheers!